Monday, August 07, 2006

life has a funny way...

so i realise (again) that it has been a while (again) since my last post (again). all of this week i've been thinking of what to write about... the war in the Middle East? the Women's British Open? all huge topics, worthy of inches and yards of online space. but yet, neither of which have anything at all to do with me, personally. and really, my knowledge of the history behind the conflict in the Middle East is just about as deep as President Bush's, so i'd rather not go there lest i suggest a ridiculous solution to stop this "shit".

the reality is that nothing is going on these days that i haven't already moaned about: i have no money and i'm looking for a job. with the pace at which my life is moving, a bird landing on my windowsill is worth large-print headlines and a three-day forum.

this weekend though, something crashboombang-like did happen. well, relatively crashboombangish. my TV died last night. my widescreen 21-inch TV. it wasn't totally the end of the world, because a spare TV in the store-room that i dug up came to the rescue. but turning it on and finishing The Anniversary Party on a dinky little 15-inch screen was just depressing. and of course, of course, this is nothing compared to living with the fear of having a rocket land on your head at any given moment, or in a land where food is a luxury and TV is just another ambiguous acronym like UN or HIV. but in my land, the scarcity of food and the arbitrariness of mortality is a lot less real than me losing the ability to watch my West Wing DVDs on a screen larger than a stamp. cue my landlord. i have no money. (so in truth, the scarcity of food is starting to get a little more real for me these days) but my landlord, who is probably the greatest landlord i have ever had, has been leaving me roast duck and mangoes at my door throughout the week so my fridge is overflowing with food, and today, some dim sum. when i called to thank him this afternoon, i mentioned the death of my TV and he offered me his set - not widescreen, but much, much larger than a stamp. he'd bought himself a ginormous LCD TV recently and so had an extra set. and so now, i have two TVs sitting in my living room... the dinky one i've kept to watch terrestrial on, because the large one doesn't receive stations all that well.

oh, and today i saw a long, green, grasshopper-like insect crawling on a roll of duct-tape.

and also, a large fly buzzed around in my room for 14 whole minutes!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Mon Aug 07, 06:03:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Nu Wee, u muz get out more. Thou I muz admit d grasshopper n fly incident did sound farny on first glance. N yeaps, TV@UN/HIV is a must, it's subconsciously like air... : )p

Mon Aug 07, 06:05:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home