Thursday, July 07, 2005

on a day like today

i woke up early this morning, quite an accomplishment. felt quite proud of myself as i arrived at the gym, right on time for my 10:30 appoinment with Matt. he was standing by the cycles, eyes fixed on the TV. explosions in central London. six tube stations bombed, one bus. going through my new (gruelling) program later, the gym was deadly silent. there were about five other people there this morning, and they were going through their workout quietly, listening intently to the news. everyone making sure not to slam their weights down. no one had their headphones on; everyone, for once, out of their iPod cocoons. when i got to my locker after, i checked my phone and there were a whole lot of missed calls and texts. calls from my mum, friends from home, a text from my dad, checking to see that i was okay. i, in turn, started calling friends in London, and friends who have family in London.

i usually end e-mails, or letters, or phone-calls, with "keep in touch!" or "hope to hear from you soon!" and by gosh i finally realise how important this keeping in touch really is. this morning i called up friends i haven't heard from in a long time. friends i haven't contacted in a long time, checking to see if they were okay. making sure they weren't hurt, or injured, or dead. and it was sad, how it takes something like a terrorist attack, to make you realise how (forgive the cliche) fragile life is.

i'd initially planned to head down to my site, around the LIPA area, after my gym session, but i just couldn't wait to get home, send out e-mails to friends i couldn't reach by phone. i've heard from all of them now, and thank God they're all okay. i've had BBC on since i got home, and London looks just eerie - quiet, deserted streets. no traffic, just ambulances, police cars. it's just too sad. London should be celebrating now, what with winning the 2012 Olympic bid, but instead, this.

4 Comments:

Blogger eatmisery said...

I'm very glad you're safe and sound. I thought about you when I heard the news. I hope you don't know anyone that may have been harmed. Such a tragedy.

Thu Jul 07, 06:58:00 pm  
Blogger nu. said...

thanks, eatmisery. that's really sweet of you.

Thu Jul 07, 09:44:00 pm  
Blogger surwira said...

hi nu. as silly as this may sound, when i saw the news on tv, my first thought was of you. funny eh, coming from a girl you hardly know. i was almost afraid to see what your post is going to be like today. that being said, i am glad that you and hopefully everyone you know is safe. god bless us all.

Fri Jul 08, 06:53:00 am  
Blogger nu. said...

thanks for your thoughts, newwoman. it never ceases to amaze me how this internet thing brings people together. in our everyday lives, living miles apart, we probably would never have met, but yet here we are, though just words on a screen, connected somehow.
hmm... 2am air seems to bring out the sentimental in me. hehe.

Mon Jul 11, 02:15:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home